X, formerly known as Twitter, is a mess. Long time users are getting more and more confused and frustrated by the changes, and the lack of direction and clarity of the business owner and CEO have made things even worse.
While it is still a mess, the reality is it has always been a mess. I have often referred to it as a beautiful train wreck. People can connect there, but it can also be a place of conflict and hostility. That is why I believe that Twitter/X is the perfect place for Digital Missionaries to hang out at.
As a Digital Missionary, Twitter/X offers incredible opportunities to reach out and engage people that your Church may not be able to reach otherwise. However, in order to effectively leverage Twitter/X, you do need some wise strategies. Here are some best practices for sharing the Gospel and biblical truth on this powerful platform.
- Pray. Everything you do in ministry begins and ends with prayer. Pray every time you get on Twitter/X that God would open up opportunities for you to minister and pray for others.
- Post Consistently. Consistency matters. That is why it is important to establish a regular posting cadence, whether a few times per day or week. Whatever it is, make sure you post consistently. This keeps what you are doing top of mind. Mix in original tweets/posts, retweets/requotes, links, media, and more for variety.
- Create Inspiring, Uplifting Content. While consistently matters in your posts, making them appealing is just as important. Make sure your tweets/posts are visually engaging with images, videos, gifs, and graphics. Use captions that draw readers in. Ask thoughtful questions. Share testimonies. Tie tweets/posts to cultural themes and current events when appropriate.
- Listen First, Then Respond. This cannot be understated. Stephen Covey famously said, "Seek first to understand then to be understood." Take time to invest listening to others’ concerns and perspectives. Offer prayers, encouragement, and biblical guidance where appropriate. Don’t just preach at people.
- Be Inspiring, Not Combative. Choose to share the love of God, regardless of how people respond to you. While others spend lots of time combating false teachings and theology, avoid those conversations and heated arguments. It paints a bad picture of who believers and ministers are when they get in online fights. Very, very rarely have arguments online ever convinced others that they are wrong and you are right. Choose to inspire rather than be combative.
- Use Hashtags. Strategically research trending topics and contribute faith-focused and Christ centered perspectives using relevant hashtags. Use them wisely but make sure you don’t overuse them.
While some may argue that Twitter/X's relevancy is declining, dismissing this powerful platform would be a mistake for digital missionaries aiming to advance the Gospel. When leveraged strategically, Twitter/X can help digital missionaries spread the good news of Christ to millions of people from all over the world. far and wide, connecting with people they may not reach otherwise. With a thoughtful and strategic effort, Twitter/X remains an impactful platform for expanding spiritual conversations.
What do you think? What are other ways you can maximize your impact on Twitter/X? Share your ideas below or on social media.
Through the Digital Church Network we are helping physical and digital churches better understand the discipleship process, and helping churches and church planters understand this and other decentralized mindset shifts. Joining the DCN is free and be encouraged!